Posted: 19.02.21 at 20:31 by Susan Yates
Thurrock Local History Society chair and Nub News columnist Susan Yates brings us her latest look back down memory lane.
WHEN people think of old buildings in Thurrock very few would think of Old Corringham but the church of St Mary the Virgin Corringham is the oldest surviving church in Thurrock and is Grade I listed.
It has a late 11th century west tower, nave, chancel plus 11th century and 14th century north aisle and north chapel.It is built of Ragstone rubble and flint, with Reigate and limestone dressings. Roofs are plain tiled.
The west tower is of three stages with a pyramid roof and the tower arch is of one plain arch with chamfered imposts. A keystone on the east side is carved with a small head.
The north, south and west walls have windows renewed externally but retain original features internally and there is blind arcading in two upper tiers. The south wall has two 19th century windows and a late 14th century south doorway.
The chancel arch is 19th century. The church was subject to a 1843 restoration by Gilbert Scott.
The name Corringham, like most Thurrock names, is of Saxon origin and means the settlement of Curra’s people. There were three manors of Corringham. Coggers, Corringham, and Old Hall.
Situated in Old Corringham close to the church and Bull Inn, Corringham Hall is Grade II listed and was the main manor. It is an early 18th century house in red brick with red plain tile gambrel roof. It has two storeys and attics with later extensions at the rear.
The de Baud family here were lords of the manor for 400 years. The first de Baud to live here was probably Sir Walter de Baud who died here in 1216.
In 1375 Sir William de Baud obtained permission from the Dean and Chapter of St Paul’s to enclose part of their land within his estate. In exchange the de Baud family had to pay every year the fee of one doe on 25th January and one buck on 29th June to the Dean of St Paul’s.
The earliest record we have of the Manor of Old Hall, which was located near the end of Springhouse Lane, is in 1476 when it was owned by Richard Welles. It was known at various times as Ould Hall, Downes and Cranes Bridge. In 1848 Abraham Bell farmed here and in 1866 it was farmed by the Long family who left in 1929.
The Manor of Coggers stood on the corner of Springhouse Lane not far from Oak Farm. The earliest mention is in 1291 when John Borenare quitclaimed to John Coggere. According to Philip Morant, Sir Thomas Tyrell held the manor off Richard Welles of Old Hall when he died in 1476 and Sir Robert Tyrell held it in 1508.
There are ten listed buildings in Corringham. The most well known is probably The Bull Inn. It is Grade II listed of 15th century build with later alterations. It is timber framed and plastered and has two storeys with a tiled roof and the cross wing is jettied. It also has a 17th century red brick chimney with 18th century and later extensions at the north end and rear.
The oldest building in Corringham other than the church is Fearings Farmhouse which is Grade II listed. It is a late 16th century house timber framed and plastered with plain red tile roof. It has three bays and a chimney bay is of two storeys but the casements and porch are modern.
One of the most attractive buildings in Corringham is Bush House, a Grade II listed building. It is a 16th century house with possibly earlier south crosswing. It is timber-framed and weatherboarded, with a red plain tile roof. It is built on the H-plan with gabled crosswings with red brick chimney stacks.
A red brick building, very affectionately remembered, is the Old School House built circa 1865. The front is original but there are a few alterations at the rear. In 1890 it had 38 pupils but by 1936 the school was considered as inadequate and was closed.
I could not leave Corringham without mentioning its football ground - one of the last ‘proper grounds’ left in Thurrock after the sad demise of Thurrock FC (formerly Purfleet FC) and Grays Athletic, the nomads of Thurrock, playing their games outside Grays.
Rookery Hill is the home of East Thurrock United, one of Thurrock's most successful clubs. Founded in April 1969 when they played at Corringham Recreation Ground they are now well established in the football pyramid.
Featuring a sensational live band, 'A NIGHT OF SONGS AND LAUGHTER' tells Rob's personal musical journey from South Wales to th...