Posted: 05.12.21 at 10:24 by The Editor
A CAT was rescued by firefighters from a Thurrock flat after a candle started a blaze in a bedroom.
Crews from Orsett and Basildon were called to the second floor flat in Lyndhurst Road, Corringham, yesterday (Saturday, 4 December) after a man heard his smoke alarm going off and called 999.
On arrival firefighters reported that there was a fire in the bedroom when they arrived at 10.40am.
Crews manager Daniel Tolley said: "If it wasn't for our crews' professionalism and skill the fire would have spread quickly to the rest of the flat. Thankfully our firefighters quickly contained and extinguished the fire as well as rescuing a cat.
"The working smoke alarms alerted the man to the fire, which was caused by an unattended candle that was close to a pile of Christmas presents.
"At this time of year more people are using candles. It's so important to make sure they are on a heatproof surface, away from anything that can catch fire and always extinguished before you leave the room."
Firefighters completed extinguished the fire by 11.25am.
The bedroom has been completely destroyed by fire.
A statement from Essex Fire and Rescue added: “The resident in this incident had working smoke alarms which had alerted him to the fire.
“Smoke alarms save lives. They can alert your family as well as your neighbours and passers-by to a fire in your home if you're not in.
“We recommend you have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home and that you test them at least once a month.
“If you or someone you know doesn’t have working smoke alarms at home, please get in touch. Visit essex-fire.gov.uk/book or call 0300 303 0088.”
Sunday, 6 March - Friends of Grays Beachcombers - meeting at Thurrock Yacht Club, Grays RM17 6JF at 10:30 until 12:00. Foreshore tidy. If you h...