Driver who hit top speed of 130mph on A13 avoids ban by merciful magistrates
By Nub News Reporter 19th May 2026
A DRIVER clocked by police travelling at 130mph on the A13 last year has escaped a driving ban because of the state of his mental health and need to support his family.
David Barrett, 47 of Abensburg Road, Canvey Island was captured on camera by Essex Road Traffic Police's team who were mounting a pre-Christmas operation against speeding drivers. The offence was considered so serious police released details of the offence – including a picture of his car.
The vehicle, a Mercedes AMG A45 S 4Matic+ which costs around £65,000, was just over a month old at the time of the offence, was captured on camera as it passed under Church Road Bridge, Bowers Gifford on 14 December.
Barrett appeared before Basildon Magistrates on Wednesday, 6 May and pleaded guilty.
In most cases travelling at such speed would bring an automatic ban. In Essex last year a driver received a 90 month ban for speeding at 130mph.
However, magistrates decided on leniency for Barrett, who is reported to have previous endorsements on his licence, and gave him six penalty points. He was also fined £460 and ordered to pay costs of £130 plus a £184 victim surcharge. He will pay the money by instalments.
Magistrates said they took into consideration the state of his mental health and the fact that he might lose his job as he had to travel for work from Canvey Island to Corringham to start work at 5am – when there was no public transport available.
The court was told Barrett would not be able to maintain the maintenance payments for his children if he loses his job. He is also required to pay rent for his accommodation.
The court reported: "The defendant has struggled with his mental health and is now recovering. The Bench feel that a disqualification and what that will entail for the defendant will have a substantial negative impact on his mental health."
Essex police, whose Head of Roads Policing Adam Pipe condemned the offence at the time it was recorded and added: "The speeds we've seen are unacceptable and we will continue to target those who pose a risk", were asked by Thurock Nub News to comment on the sentence but declined.
CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
thurrock vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: thurrock jobs
Share: