Thurrock
Nub News Logo
Nub News

Stanford station update as portfolio holder pledges delivery completion date in July 2027

Local News by Christine Sexton - Local Democracy Reporter 29th Jan 2026   1
Stanford rail station.
Stanford rail station.
advertisement

THURROCK Council has insisted strong plans are now in place to finally deliver the long-delayed rebuild of Stanford-le-Hope railway station by 2027, following years of spiralling costs, delays and controversy.

Speaking at a full council meeting on Wednesday (28 January), Ross Byrne, Independent councillor for Stanford West, thanked the administration for "delivering on your promise to give Stanford its station back" but questioned whether residents could trust the council's timetable.

He said: "Given the council's history of poor project management on major schemes, how confident are you that residents will see their station returned in the first half of 2027 and what specific safeguards are now in place to ensure this timetable is met?"

Cllr Lee Watson, cabinet member for good growth, maintained the project was now firmly back on track.

She said the council shared residents' frustration after years of failed attempts to replace the station, which was demolished in 2020.

"We know the importance of delivery and the way residents have been let down previously," she said. "Robust project management and governance arrangements are now firmly in place to ensure the project is delivered in the agreed timetable."

A revised council strategy approved in May 2025 set out a new delivery plan, with SLC Rail appointed to oversee procurement and manage the project through to completion alongside the council's regeneration team. The council also says it has strengthened its governance framework with operational partners to ensure "transparency and effective decision making" throughout construction.

Early works have already begun on site. Engineering contractor Henderson & Taylor has been appointed to carry out groundworks, site clearance and platform two upgrades—preparatory work designed to reduce risk in later stages of development. This phase is being funded through Thames Freeport seed investment.

advertisement

Cllrs Ross Byrne quizzed Cllr Lee Watson over station plans and what will happen to Daybreak site.

Cllr Watson said the tender for the main station building is scheduled between the first and second quarter of this year, with the council anticipating completion in July 2027.

The rebuild has been mired in controversy since the original station was demolished without c2c's formal consent. Costs escalated to £36 million before the Labour administration halted the project for review. It later announced a scaled back £10 million scheme, ditching a wider transport interchange in favour of a simpler bus turnaround.

Further criticism has surrounded past spending, including £15 million reportedly paid to consultants in 2019 and £4.7 million spent on land formerly occupied by Daybreak Windows which now appears to have no part in revised plans.

When quizzed about the Daybreak site Cllr Watson replied 'she didn't know, but would find out'.

     

CHECK OUT OUR Jobs Section HERE!
thurrock vacancies updated hourly!
Click here to see more: thurrock jobs

     

Can we count on you? Local news is the heartbeat of Thurrock
— it needs your support.

For less than the price of a cup of coffee each month,
you can help us keep telling the stories that matter to Thurrock.
Support local journalism. Protect your community.

Thank you to those of you that have already contributed.
Monthly supporters will enjoy:
Ad-free experience

Share:

Comments (1)

Post comment

Johnalabaster

15 Million Pounds reportedly paid to consultants is mind boggling. What on earth did this Thurrock Council allow this to happen. No wonder we are in so much debt. I only read in the Nub News this week how many Senior Personnel working for Thurrock Council are earning phenomenal salaries for doing what. Stanford Le Hope Station only needs a building, the platforms are already there. Why on earth is that going to cost 10 million and take at least 18 months to build. The proposed bus interchange has been scrapped and replacement is to be some white paint making an oblong box in the road with the words Bus Stop written inside it. No more than we have now. We do need a lot more busses in this area as the present services are pretty awful. The sooner we are allowed an election to vote out this complete shower of Councillors the better this borough will be.


advertisement

15% discount with code NUB15

Little Mixers Strawberry Daiquiri
Struggling to find the right gift for your partner this Valentine's Day? We've got the answer!

15% discount with code NUB15

Little Mixers Bellini
Struggling to find the right gift for your partner this Valentine's Day? We've got the answer!

15% discount with code NUB15

Little Mixers Pornstar Martini
Struggling to find the right gift for your partner this Valentine's Day? We've got the answer!

Sign-up for our FREE newsletter...

We want to provide thurrock with more and more clickbait-free news.

     

...or become a Supporter.
Thurrock. Your Borough. Your News.

Local news is essential for our community — but it needs your support.
Your donation makes a real difference.
For monthly donators:
Ad-free experience