Two out of three ain't bad, but non-League seems set for another break

  Posted: 31.10.20 at 22:08 by The Editor

us on Facebook

WITH lower tier non-League football seemingly about to be suspended because of the lockdown, with only 'elite' games permitted, there was good news on the pitch for two of the borough's teams today (Saturday, 31 October), though disappointment once more befell East Thurrock United, who have now exited both FA Cup and Trophy at the first time of asking.

Aveley are back on the FA Trophy giant-killing trail after beating Southern Premier South Beaconsfield Town in today's Third Qualifying Round clash at Parkside.

Town hadn’t won a single match before today and fell behind in this one, Harry Donovan scoring for the Millers on 29 minutes.

Just a minute into the second half sub Alex Clark made it two, and George Sykes put the Millers out of sight with a third 16 minutes from time, with manager Keith Rowland complimenting his side at the end of the game saying: "It was probably one of our best performances of the season."

East Thurrock hosted Cheshunt in an all Isthmian Premier clash, the Rocks looking for revenge after their visitors defeated them one-nil in the first game of the season - but the Ambers got the first goal of this match, too, Jamie Reynolds scoring just after the half hour.

The visitors were two up by half time, Taylor McKenzie doubling the advantage, and then got number three five minutes after the restart through Reece Beckles Richards.

The Rocks looked down and out but Callum Taylor got one back almost immediately, only for the visitors to restore the three goal lead on 84 minutes through Derek Asamoah.

Luke Illsley did manage a second for the Rocks on 90 minutes and then Eze Bademosi made the last seconds nervous for the visitors, but the Ambers held on for a 4-3 win.

Tilbury stretched their lead at the top of the Isthmian North to five points after a 2-1 home win against Soham Town Rangers, who themselves might have gone top with a win.

The game went right down to the wire with Lee Burns grabbing the 90th minute winner for Tilbury, who added Concord Rangers' loanee Sam Remfry to their squad just hours before the match, through he failed to make it off the bench.

Soham took the lead through Joe Carden on 58 minutes but a penalty from Brian Moses put the Dockers level on the stroke of half time.

And the winner came right at the death of the game from veteran Burns.

IN the wake of PM Boris Johnson's announcement that England will return to lockdown next week the leader of Thurrock Council, Cllr Rob Gledhil...