Work continues and caravan is moved in despite council declaring site and excavation is unauthorised. Councillor expresses concern

  Posted: 10.01.21 at 15:25 by The Editor

us on Facebook

  See our new Community section




RESIDENTS have highlighted the continued work on what appears to be an unauthorised caravan site as a warning from Thurrock Council enforcement officers has been ignored and a mobile home placed on the site.

The council appears to be unable to do anything to stop work on the site adjacent to Sandy Lane between Tilbury and Chadwell St Mary.

On Thursday excavations began on the site which has been surrounded by high fencing and a large digger was used to carve out chunks of the neighbouring hillside.

Residents alerted Thurrock Council which says it has sent officers to the site and that it intended to issue a stop notice.

Council leader Rob Gledhill said: "The council was made aware of a possible planning breach yesterday afternoon (Thursday, 7 January) and officers were on site this morning at 10am to investigate.

“Having found evidence of excavations occurring, a Temporary Stop Notice (TSN) will be issued imminently.

“We take all reports of unauthorised activity very seriously and will work to ensure that Thurrock is protected through the enforcement of planning conditions where officers feel it is appropriate.”

However, work continued unabated and more excavations were taking place today (Sunday, 10 January), while a caravan has been moved onto the site.

Tilbury councillor John Allen, who was angered by the work that went on unchallenged last year says he is concerned why the latest work has not been stopped three days after work started. He told Nub News: "I am baffled why the authorities are not taking any action."

POLICE attended (1.15pm) an accident which caused the closure of Buckingham Hill Road close to Stanford-le-Hope. Today's (Sunday, 10 January) ...
Read more...


Share: