Fire crew issues warning after borough garden and decking fire

By Neil Speight

5th Sep 2022 | Local News

FIREFIGHTERS have urged people to ensure fire pit embers are fully cooled before disposing of them following a fire in Chadwell Road, Grays.

Crews from Grays were called at 3.31pm yesterday (Sunday, 4 September) after a fire started in a bin in the garden. It spread to the fence panels, garden furniture and decking. 

The fire was put out at 3.46pm but firefighters remained on scene for a short time after to ensure that a garden gas cylinder was safe.

Watch Manager Gary Bannister said: "The fire started from embers from a fire pit that had been put into a bin. The fire pit had been out for around 12 hours, but the embers can still be warm and cause a fire. If you are using a fire pit or having a bonfire or barbeque, please make sure everything is cooled before disposing of the embers, you can use water to help.

"Also never leave a bonfire, barbeque or fire pit unattended and use them well away from anything an ember or flame can alight like fences, decking, houses and plants."

For more safety advice head to Essex Fire and Rescue Service's barbeque safety page here.

Share:

Subscribe to our FREE WEEKLY Newsletter!

Keep your town in your pocket.

Related Articles

BJ Harrington
Local News

Cost of policing for residents to go up by around £15 per 'average' home

Local News

Man in court following Aveley stolen prescription drugs find worth more than £1 million

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Thurrock Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.