Warning after crews rushed to save flat where hob had been left alight

By Nub News Reporter

10th Feb 2024 | Local News

Don't leave your hob unattended.
Don't leave your hob unattended.

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a flat in Purfleet-on-Thames last night (Friday, 9 February) after neighbours heard a smoke alarm going off. 

On arrival just after 10.30pm firefighters found a heavily smoke logged property on Banner Close.

They quickly found the source of the smoke to be a frying pan on the hob. Firefighters removed the pan and used positive-pressure ventilation fans to clear the smoke from the flat. 

Watch Manager Mark Hampton, Grays Fire Station, said: "We're called to hob fires far more often than people would think.

"Please never leave cooking unattended and always make sure your oven and hob are completely clear and switched off when you've finished cooking. 

"This incident shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms. Even if you're not home, they can alert your neighbours who can call 999."

     

New thurrock Jobs Section Launched!!
Vacancies updated hourly!!
Click here: thurrock jobs

Share:

Related Articles

Local News

Call for volunteers to help St Luke's

Cllr John Kent paid particular attention to devlotion thoughts outlined in the King's speech.
Local News

Leader welcomes moves towards more devolution in local government - cabinet will be told council missed financial target by £26 million last year

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Thurrock with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.