Millers suffer second defeat in three days as Clarets take derby honours at Parkside

By Ethan Crafter

13th Nov 2023 | Football

Siju Odelusi found the net for Millers with the aid of a deflection. (Picture Lambpix).
Siju Odelusi found the net for Millers with the aid of a deflection. (Picture Lambpix).

Aveley 1, Chelmsford City 2

AVELEY fell short in tonight's Essex Vanarama National South derby, regretting missed chances.

Following on from Saturday's defeat at Bath, Millers lost their second game in three days after rivals Chelmsford City claimed a narrow victory on Monday (13 November) evening. in front of a crowd of 628.

Just eight minutes into the match, play was halted due to the net being broken! Aveley's powerful striker Sydney Ibie hit the side netting with a powerful shot, breaking the rope holding the net in place. Thankfully, play could continue after resourceful Millers U23 boss Danny Shipp repaired the damaged net.

Early on, the home side had the better of it and should have taken the lead in the 25th minute. Eduino Vaz and Alex Hernandez were two-on-one against the goalkeeper. However, Vaz opted to go on his own and was denied by Clarets keeper Joshua Oluwayemi.

After Millers' dominance, Chelmsford went one up in the 35th minute as Freddie Hockey scored with the first shot on target of the game. Ody Alfa knocked it past two defenders to Hockey, who calmly placed his effort past Jonathan North.

That's the way it stood at the break but on the restart Millers appeared rejuvenated. They looked spritely, similar to their efforts early on in the match.

But much the same as the first half, Aveley conceded. Jermaine Francis did well and poked the ball toward Finley Barbrook, who placed a lovely cross for Alfa who, at the back post, finished after 65 minutes.

Aveley did get their just reward after 75 minutes as a long throw from Jason Ring found Siju Odelusi, who struck the ball goalwards just outside the penalty area and it took a deflection on its way into the net.

The Millers gave their all but failed to find an equaliser as Clarets dealt with the late bombardment of long throws to take all three points.

Losing means Aveley has left the door open for Bath City, who have a game in hand, to take second position.

The Millers play St Ives Town of the Southern League Premier Central next in the second round of the FA Trophy. Aveley stay at Parkside for the 3 pm clash next Saturday (18 November).


Related Articles

Oakfield action

T-Birds host tournament

The scene at the Wyldescrest club on Saturday.

Heavy defeat can't take shine off new club's first match

Sign-Up for our FREE Newsletter

We want to provide Thurrock with more and more clickbait-free local news.
To do that, we need a loyal newsletter following.
Help us survive and sign up to our FREE weekly newsletter.

Already subscribed? Thank you. Just press X or click here.
We won't pass your details on to anyone else.
By clicking the Subscribe button you agree to our Privacy Policy.