Good causes celebrate payout at Grays Co-op store
It was pay-out time today (Saturday, 5 November) for the three good causes supported over the past 12 months by the Socketts Heath Co-op store in Grays.
By Neil Speight
Posted: Saturday, 05th November 2022 2:00 pm
IT was pay-out time today (Saturday, 5 November) for the three good causes supported over the past 12 months by the Socketts Heath Co-op store in Grays.
Representatives from Grays Town Band, BATIAS and the 180 Project were at the store to collect £1,639, 1897.64 and £1,768.09 respectively.
Grays Town Band showed off their musical talents with a selection of tunes for shoppers.
Every year the store selects three good causes from a list of nominations by local people, who will benefit from goods sold there.
When Co-op Members buy selected Co-op branded products and services, 2p for every pound spent goes into their Co-op Membership account and Co-op gives the same to support community organisations and local causes.
Earlier in the week there were pay-outs to three good causes in Aveley.
There have been similar scenes across the country this week as the efforts of Co-op members paid dividends. Across the country, since the scheme was started in 2016, more than £117 million helping seven million people across the UK since 2016.
With many community causes experiencing funding challenges and a surge in demand, Co-op funds are supporting projects which deliver vital services in their communities.
A statement from th Co-op says: "The more our members shop, the more funds we can raise. Thanks to our members we have been able to work together to deliver our community missions of access to food, mental wellbeing support and opportunities for young people, including:
- · Over 30,000 Local Community Fund causes supported
- · Funding over 280 fridges with Hubbub, we'll build the network to 350 by end of 2022
- · Expanding the Your Local Pantry network to 225 within the next 3 years, providing more communities with sustainable solutions to access food
- · Signposting 900,000 people to helpful mental wellbeing information and services with Mind, SAMH (Scottish Association for Mental Health) and Inspire
- ·Helping 6,000 young people make communities safer and fairer places to live through our Peer Action Collective
"You can read more about how we're supporting communities here."
Help spread the news by sharing content via Social Hub.
· A digital bonus offer for 25% off an Irresistible product is now available through the Co-op app.
· Select a new Local Community Fund cause - Through the Co-op App you can choose a new local cause to support. If you aren't already a member, make sure you join online as a colleague before downloading the app for access to exclusive offers.